Joe and I are currently taking part in the Bivvy-a-month challenge from the Bear Bones bikepacking forum. In essence this is a challenge to sleep out (after a bike ride) once a month for twelve consecutive months. It’s a great challenge that acts as a fine motivator to get you out camping in the wild when it might otherwise have been easy to let things slide and not bother. Have a read and maybe join in if you fancy it….
Here are the rules of the challenge which I have copied from the Bare Bones forum page.
- Sleep out at least one night out during every calendar month. You can start any month you like, just as long as you tot up 12 consecutive months.
- No paid-for accommodation ie campsites or hostels.
- A bike must be involved – it’s bikepacking, the clue is in the name.
- Your own garden doesn’t count, although next doors does – if you must.
- A multi-night trip that takes in both the last calendar night of one month and the first night of the next month will count as two months.
We have tried to complete this before, but always come unstuck in the winter months when various bugs and minor ailments have conspired to keep us home in the warm and dry. This time we started the challenge in December and having successfully completed the winter months I am hopeful we will make it all the way to the finish line in November. At the time of writing we have completed December to September and so have two more months to go. I will update this page after every successful month. If Joe successfully completes the challenge then he will be the youngest person to have done so.
December 2018 – camping in Craik forest.
January 2019 – Kershopehead Bothy
February 2019 – The Secret Howff
March 2019 – Green Bothy
April 2019 – Wild-camping in Cuba
May 2019 – wild-camping in the USA
June 2019 – A midsummer bivvy by the river in Craik.
July 2019 – Gameshope bothy
August 2019 – Dryfehead Bothy
September 2019 – An overnight camp by the river in Borthwickbrae.
To be continued……